Actor/Actress Roles: Where Everyone Loses and Wins
For most of us who get rejected or bypassed for a job, it doesn’t feel good. Hollywood actors and actresses go through the same thing, except on a different level. Here are some of the roles they really wanted but didn’t get as well as the ones that were offered a role but passed on it. Then there’s the few gray areas and bad timing. The current example is Eddie Murphy’s commentary on how he feels like an idiot for passing up Bob Hoskins’ role as Eddie Valiant in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Lesson learned and also lesson to forgive and let go.
No Hard Feelings, Sorry And Nope You Didn’t Get It
(information by Grace Gavilanes)
- Mindy Kaling wanted Maya Rudolph’s role in Bridesmaids.
- Eddie Redmayne wanted Adam Driver’s role in Star Wars franchise.
- Idris Elba wanted to play Gaston in Beauty and the Beast.
- Joe Manganiello wanted to play Tobey Maguire’s role in Spider-Man.
- Dwayne Johnson wanted to play Tom Cruise’s role in Jack Reacher.
- Matthew McConaughey wanted to play Leonardo DiCaprio’s role in Titanic.
- Miles Teller wanted to play Ryan Gosling’s role in La La Land.
- Gwen Stefani wanted to play Angelina’s Jolie’s role in Mr. & Mrs. Smith.
- Olivia Wilde wanted to play Margot Robbie’s role in The Wolf of Wall Street.
- Russell Crowe wanted to play Viggo Mortensen’s role in Lord of the Rings franchise.
- Jessica Biel wanted Rachel McAdams’s role in The Notebook.
I Guess Not, You Passed, Okay, We’ll Find Someone Else
(information by Diana Pearl and Maria Yagoda)
- Emilia Clark turned down Fifty Shades of Grey franchise that would go to Dakota Johnson.
- Reba McIntire turned down Titantic role that would go to Kathy Bates.
- Justin Timberlake turned down Rocketman that would go to Taron Egerton.
- Hugh Jackman turned down James Bond franchise that would go to Daniel Craig.
- Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt turned down Brokeback Mountain that would go to Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal.
- Al Pacino turned down Star Wars franchise that would go to Harrison Ford.
- Johnny Depp turned down Ferris Bueller’s Day Off that would go to Matthew Broderick.
- John Travolta turned down Forrest Gump that would go to Tom Hanks.
- Jack Nicholson turned down The Godfather franchise that would go to Al Pacino.
- Christina Applegate turned down Legally Blonde franchise that would go to Reese Witherspoon.
You’re Not Working Right, Get Off The Set Now, Thank You
- Charlize Theron signed to do Chicago that would go to Renee Zellweger. (In her words, “I was kicked off it.”)
- Julianne Moore signed to do Can You Ever Forgive Me? that would go to Melissa McCarthy. (In her own words, she was “fired.”)
The Timing Just Wasn’t Right, So Let’s Find A Replacement
- Sandra Bullock wanted to do Million Dollar Baby that would go to Hilary Swank.
- Julia Roberts wanted to do Shakespeare in Love that would go to Gwyneth Paltrow.
The Gray Area, Not Sure What Happened, Here We Are
- Molly Ringwald turned down Pretty Woman that would go to Julia Roberts. (In her own words, “I don’t specifically remember turning it down).
- Gwyneth Paltrow turned down Titanic that would go to Kate Winslet. (In her own words, “I know that the story is that I turned it down.”)